The Gypsy King Tyson Fury has announced a social media blackout ahead of his WBC heavyweight title defence against Dillian Whyte on April 23.
Although a venue for their grudge match has not yet been finalised, Cardiff’s Principality Stadium and London’s Wembley is thought to be top of the list for this huge Championship fight.
Tyson Fury Is off Social Media
The 33-year-old said in an Instagram video on Tuesday: “I’m about to go completely off social media for the next eight-and-a-half weeks.
“I’m gonna go into training camp to give Dillian Whyte all the respect in the world that he needs.
“I’ll train for him like he’s Muhammad Ali and Bruce Lee for this camp.”
Fury is brimming with confidence ahead of the domestic dust-up but refuses to overlook his fellow Brit.
He said: “I’ve never underestimated anybody in my life, and I’ll give this man all the respect he deserves coming as the No.1-ranked WBC heavyweight challenger in the world today.”
Tyson Fury also tweeted regarding his blackout, leaving no doubt that he’s mentally prepared for his latest defence.
Tyson Fury Takes to Twitter
Whyte is the mandatory challenger to Fury’s WBC belt. He has been waiting years for a shot at the world title as the WBC’s number-one-ranked contender.
After lengthy discussions between both teams came to nothing. Frank Warren’s Queensberry Promotions won the purse bids in January with a $41m (£30m) bid, beating Whyte’s promoter Eddie Hearn, the only other bidder.
Fury, 33, is now set to receive 80% of the purse, around £20m, and Whyte the remaining 20%.
Whyte has been pushing for a bigger split of the purse bid. However, the £5.6m he is guaranteed to receive will be the biggest payday of his career to date. There is also a further £3.1m on offer for the winner.
Tyson Fury vs. Dillan Whyte has been waiting in the wings for some time. Who are you taking in the battle of the Brits?
Featured image credits to Embed from Getty Images