Promoter Eddie Hearn believes Anthony Joshua will fight twice this year despite delays to the rematch with Oleksandr Usyk.
Usyk and Joshua fought back in September of 2021 for the IBF, WBA and WBO belts.
In a one-sided encounter, Usyk shocked the world by defeating Joshua in London.
Immediately after the fight, Joshua activated the rematch clause.
The pair were scheduled to go head to head once again earlier this year. Unfortunately, Usyk had to return to Ukraine to defend the country against the invasion by Russia.
Although the rematch hasn’t been confirmed, it looks likely that it will take place on July 23, with Saudi Arabia set to host the heavyweight showdown.
Eddie Hearn Believes Anthony Joshua Will Fight Twice This Year
Speaking to IFL TV, Hearn said: “AJ’s fighting twice this year. Any delay can only be a couple of weeks because we want to make sure that he’s good to go in December again.
“July 23rd is still the working date. If there was a delay, it wouldn’t be a major issue for anybody. It’s just time. It’s a huge deal. It has taken a long time as deals do. We’re really happy with our partners. We’re really happy with the deal, and we’re really happy with the process and we look forward to doing a huge event. You’ll be hearing about it very soon.
“We have agreed a deal with the site and working date of July 23rd,” Hearn said. “We are pretty much ready to announce. If there is a delay it’s for no other reason than just time and making sure we can promote the fight in the right way.
“The fight is happening. The fight is agreed as to where it will take place. Both sides have agreed to the deal. Both sides have agreed [to] everything. It’s just probably taken 10 days longer than we wanted it to.”
Who do you think will win the rematch between Usyk and Joshua?
Featured image credits to Embed from Getty Images